Outlook 2016 global address list not updating hiking singles dating bay area
I didn't create the server and this is kind of my first exposure to the settings and all that.
I created a new OAB with both distribution methods this morning.
Outlook Social Connector is normal - I have it on my contacts as well.
I created an alternative OAB, connected it to the Default GAL, made that OAB the defualt OAB, and tried to download it through Outlook. The first thing I would do is switch to either web only or mixed (web and public folder).
Then once set, run get-offlineaddresbook | update-offlineaddressbook Wait 20 minutes or so for it to update, then check in the Application log to see if there are any generation errors.
I'm having an issue with Exchange 2010 and Outlook 2010. This problem started after we flattened our domain. We migrated all the users from the the sub to the top using the ADMT and then we took down sub. To be sure, does OWA (which uses live information) reflect the GAL correctly? The first thing you should do is on a test workstation, is delete the *files.
Essentially, the issue is the GAL is not updating in Outlook. I looked at the recipient filter of the GAL, it's below for reference: (Alias -ne $null -and (Object Class -eq 'user' -or Object Class -eq 'contact' –or Object Class -eq 'ms Exch System Mailbox' -or Object Class –eq 'ms Exch Dynamic Distribution List' -or Object Class -eq 'group' -or Object Class –eq 'public Folder')) The next thing I'm going to try is creating a new GAL and making it the default, if necessary. That will force Outlook to download a complete GAL. If so, it is probably that the incremental update files haven't updated correctly.
I ran the commands you recommended and tried it about 4 hours after that. As another way to troubleshoot the problem, I created a new profile for Outlook.